Yes, it’s that time again. No, not Christmas; rather, the Christmas that happens just for your mom (or for you if you’re a mom, yeay!). Yes, Sunday May 10, 2015 is Mother’s Day! And I know there is always some moment in April where I realize MD is coming up, immediately call to make a reservation somewhere — because it’s better to have a reservation somewhere (and then sort out if you want to actually go somewhere else) than to have a reservation nowhere — and then frantically text my sister to see what’s actually going on.
So, if you have not yet remembered to make that reservation (or buy a card, or mark your calendar to remind you to call, or whatever), here are a few suggestions for around the Bay of places that reportedly still have room for you.
- Mission Rock Resort, San Francisco: Awesome brunch, outdoor, bay-side dining, surely a win! Additionally, will be featured on an upcoming B&C review. Serving their regular menu on Mother’s Day.
- Twenty Five Lusk, San Francisco: Twenty Five Lusk in San Francisco will be open from 10:30 AM to 3:30 PM serving a $40 three-course prix fixe menu with main plate choices of lobster Benedict; asparagus frittata; a Storm Hill burger; organic strawberry pancakes; fried green tomato BLT; grilled Louisiana Gulf prawns; The Standard (eggs, bacon, hash browns, toast); and grilled rib eye with eggs. The beverage special of the day will be a mimosa with various fresh squeezed juice options.
- Reverb, San Francisco: Reverb in San Francisco will be open from 10:00 AM to 9:00 PM serving an all-day a la carte brunch menu, plus savory dinner specials in evening. In the spirit of the occasion, moms dining at the restaurant will receive a complimentary bottled “Mom-osa.”
- Palm House, San Francisco: Palm House in San Francisco will be serving brunch from 10:30 AM to 2:30 PM and dinner from 5:30 to 9:00 PM with all moms receiving complimentary flowers.
- Le P’tit Laurent, San Francsico: Le P’tit Laurent in San Francisco will be open from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM serving an a la carte brunch menu and then from 5:30 to 9:30 PM serving an a la carte dinner menu with, for all diners, a complimentary glass of Champagne with dessert.
- Le Colonial, San Francisco: Le Colonial in San Francisco will be open from 11:30 AM to 8:00 PM serving the regular a la carte menu, plus Chef’s specials in the spirit of the occasion. Moms will receive a complimentary gift box of French macaroons.
- Terrapin Crossroads, San Rafael: Terrapin Crossroads will serving a $39 buffet from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM with highlights including Eggs Benedict, French Toast, Beef Brisket, Chicken Piccata, and Salmon with Mustard Sauce. Children under twelve will be able to dine for $15, moms will receive a complimentary sparkling wine cocktail and there will be live music.
- Ajanta, Berkeley: Ajanta Restaurant in Berkeley will be open for lunch from 11:30 AM to 2:30 PM and for dinner from 5:30 to 9:00 PM serving the regular a la carte menus plus a $28.50 Chef’s Tasting Menu for dinner with three appetizers, four main dishes and sides of rice, naan bread, chutneys and pickles. A vegetarian option will be offered for $25.50. All prices exclude tax and gratuity.
- Desco, Oakland: Desco in Old Oakland will be seating from 3:00 to 9:00 PM serving their regular a la carte menu plus a $40 three-course prix fixe tasting menu with roasted bay calamari, organic peas and peppers caponata, a house bread basket and bottarga; fava beans and imported buffalo mozzarella, Taleggio fondue and toasted Grana Padano; and flourless dark and white chocolate cake with berries compote and house gelato. All prices exclude tax and gratuity.
- District Oakland, Oakland: District in Old Oakland will be serving brunch from 11:00 AM to 2:30 PM with an all you can eat breakfast buffet and a bottomless Mimosa for $35 ($22 for just the buffet). Children ten years of age and under can enjoy the buffet for $10. Menu highlights will include buttermilk pancakes with banana-rum syrup, scrambled eggs with cheese, steel-cut oatmeal with bourbon vanilla brown sugar, house made spicy chicken sausage, biscuits and sawmill gravy, chipotle-garlic breakfast potatoes, fried sweet plantains with house salsa, cheddar grits, and chocolate chip bread pudding with bourbon caramel. Specialty cocktails will also be available.
- Homestead, Oakland: Homestead in Oakland will be serving a $60 three-course prix-fixe menu from 4:30 to 9:00 PM. There will be two choices for each course: an appetizer of house ricotta with spring greens and poppy vinaigrette or tuna crudo with avocado; main courses of grilled beef ribeye or pan seared halibut; and for dessert, berry and ice cream Napoleon with kettle corn or chocolate tart with black tea caramel.
- Donato Enoteca, Redwood City: Donato Enoteca in Redwood City will be open from 11:00 AM to 9:00 PM serving all day a condensed a la carte dinner menu, plus a $58 four-course prix fixe menu with main course choices of Sautéed Local Seabass with fresh peas purée, black “venere” rice and crispy green garlic or Seared Veal Loin with Piemontese hazelnut purée, Nebbiolo sauce, green and white asparagus, and marble potatoes. All prices exclude tax and gratuity. Each mom will receive a complimentary flower.
- The Sea by Alexander’s Steakhouse, Palo Alto: The Sea by Alexander’s Steakhouse in Palo Alto will be serving from 10:30 AM to 1:30 PM a $65 three-course prix fixe brunch menu with main course choices of Halibut (Wild Alaska) with octopus, butter beans, bacon and tomato; New York Steak (Nebraska) with miso crème fraîche and truffle fries; Lobster Scrambled Egg (Wild Maine) with tarragon, lemon and Parmesan cheese; Grilled White Shrimp (Wild Mexico) with crushed potato, vadouvan, lime and chives; King Salmon (Wild Columbia River) with radish, maitake mushrooms, bacon and haricot verts; or Scallops (Wild Maine) with burdock, ginger, fava beans and sake.
- LB Steak, Menlo Park & San Jose: LB Steak will be open from 11:00 AM to 8:00 PM serving a la carte brunch items (until 2:30 PM), a limited a la carte dinner menu, and, from 4:00 PM on, a $32.50 prime rib meal. Brunch selections will be Steak and Eggs with a Wagyu skirt steak, sunny side up eggs and home fries; a West Coast Benedict with Canadian bacon, avocado and hollandaise sauce; Chorizo Hash with poached eggs and whole grain mustard; Spring Scramble with asparagus, peas and tarragon lemon ricotta; and Blueberry and Cream Waffles with orange syrup and malted whipped cream. The prime rib dinner will include a salad, a 12 oz. cut of prime rib, a loaded baked potato, au jus and artisanal ice cream. All prices exclude beverages, tax and gratuity. (This info is for the Menlo Park location; see website for details about San Jose location.)
- Left Bank Brasserie, Menlo Park & Larkspur & San Jose: Left Bank Brasserie will be open from 10:00 AM to 10:00 PM serving selections from their regular a la carte menus all day, plus brunch specials, available from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM, will be duck confit hash with a soft poached egg, country potatoes, baby spinach, crispy onions and hollandaise sauce; and a savory tart with asparagus, mushrooms, bacon, Emmenthal cheese and artisan lettuce. All day special additions will be prime Norwegian cod with grilled asparagus and a mixed olive tapenade; and a 10 oz. pepper crusted Certified Angus Beef rib eye with a green peppercorn sauce, leek and potato gratin and asparagus. All prices exclude beverages, tax and gratuity. (This info is for the Menlo Park location; see website for details about other locations.)